Wine on tasting in East Molesey 21.01.17

21 January 2017

So with the bulk of January off busy doing whatever passed months do in their spare time, let’s take stock.  It’s been an interesting month – quiet; with brilliant blue skies as empty as a perfect sapphire. Burgundy has been rocking our world like some kind of Allied bunkerbuster; a device aimed squarely at my wallet via my taste buds. Or that’s how it felt going to the tastings over the last few weeks.

But anyway – it’s your turn now. For your pleasure –

2015 Pillot Puligny-Montrachet ‘Les Noyers Bret’ – possibly my favourite Puligny of all time, which is saying something. I still get constantly confused that a wine this elegant, witty  and as charming isn’t actually simply repackaged as Oscar Wilde. Anyway, anthropomorphism of my favourites aside, this cracking wine is elegant, refined and with a beautiful mineral note to it as opposed to his fatter Chassagnes.

Daniel Rion was one winemaker whose new vintages got ticks across the board from myself, Erik, Mark & Dickie when we went up to sample – a rare occurrence! His Cotes du Nuit’s Villages was rich and generous with oodles of fresh fruit in the mouth and a tannic body which managed to be like silk under high tension – soft, but with immense strength. One for the cellar for a year or so but guaranteed impress. And, nicely, not as top end as some of his NSG’s or Vosne-Romanées.

And lastly – Perdrix. Sigh… Perdrix. Beautiful black fruit, very ripe tannins and a great texture. Domaine des Perdrix Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru ‘Aux Perdrix’ is a full-throated, blooded style of NSG with the darker textures that one expects from a truly great wine of those fields. Perdrix have made a bit of reputation with it, especially labelling it a “quasi-Monopole” – a posh way of drawing attention that they only 99% of the vineyard and would very much like to get their hands on the other 1%!

And on the Winebar:

2014 Holden Manz, Visionaire - £6/glass, £15.99, 3 for £39.00
A blend of Cabernet, Merlot, Shiraz, Malbec, Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc. Aged in French oak barrels for 22 months and oozes cocoa and blackcurrant, quince and spice, herb, eucalyptus and – lastly violets. Often regarded instore as the mighty Chocolate Block’s younger brother – and a delicious glass of wine!

2015 Organic Grillo - £4/glass, £9.99, 3 for £27.00
Lifted peach and grapefruit with notes of banana and fresh ginger. Fresh stone fruits on the palate with clear, apply acidity. Funnily enough this Mediterranean wine sings with fresh fish – which allows you to at least enjoy the last of the January attempt to eat lightly!

Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.

Also in News

Wine on tasting in Weybridge 15.07.17

08 August 2017

Continue Reading

Wines on Tasting in Church Street 08.08.17

08 August 2017

Continue Reading

Wine on tasting in West Road 05.08.17

05 August 2017

Continue Reading